Do you have a competitive streak? Are you creative and need an outlet? As our industry grows so does our thirst for knowledge and recognition. This is YOUR opportunity to let your imagination loose! Show us the magic of balloons and how they have become an integral part of the special event world.
There are five unique competitions where artists can showcase their talents and vie for awesome.
- Medium Balloon Sculpture
- Centerpiece Arrangement
- Air-Filled Arch
Competitions are open to Fully Registered Delegates with hotel only.
Results of the judging will be announced at the Awards Ceremony.
DESIGNER OF THE YEAR
In order to qualify for ”Designer of the Year” YOU must individually register in three categories by filling out the necessary forms:
- Medium Balloon Sculpture (Required)
- Centerpiece Arrangement
- Column OR Air-Filled Arch
In the event that there are fewer than three (3) eligible entries submitted by June 1, 2015, in any specific category, you would be notified by June 2.
If you are planning on striving for the Designer of the Year Award, the Medium Sculpture is a required category. If there are fewer than 3 eligible entries for the Medium Sculpture category then the Designer of the Year Award is null in void.
If the centerpiece arrangement, column or air-filled arch categories are cancelled due to participation you will be given the opportunity to apply for another category in order to qualify for the Designer of the Year. If you plan to reenter a different category you must resubmit a design for the new category by Monday, June 8.
We are not liable for last minute withdrawals or cancellations of entries in any competition categories. There for it is at the producers discretion of the handling and or the distribution of awards.
PRIZES – Check back later for more information
In the event there is a tie between 2 or more artists in the total points for the Designer of the Year, the tie will be broken by reviewing the overall scores in the order of categories,
- Medium sculpture
The Judges will use the following criteria to evaluate each entry. Each item listed in the four categories is worth 1-10 points (10 being best). Your results will be sent after the convention.
Construction and Mechanics:
- Is the framework stable and secured firmly in place?
- Are your mechanics hidden from view?
- Is the theme carried throughout the design?
- Does your design evoke an emotion?
Design: We’ve seen just about everything done before. What can you bring to the competition that gives us something fresh, new and unusual in the way of design?
- Elements/techniques not seen before
- Visual Stability of design
Promote Sense of Unity
- Color – Do the colors work together well
- Harmony – Do the elements work in harmony
- Balance of the design – Proportion & scale of structure
Bonus Points –
You will have an opportunity to earn points before you even start your entry. **(You can still enter to compete if space is available after the deadline, however you would not receive these bonus points)
- Earn 2 Bonus Points if the Competition Entry Form is received by June 1, 2015. (See General Rules #3)
- Earn 2 Bonus Points if the sketch or written description, size and title of your entry are received by June 1, 2015. (See General Rules #3)
- Earn 2 Bonus Points by providing a sign with the title of your entry
This gives you 6 extra points to start with.
Rule Violation Deductions
Violation of Competition Rules will result in deduction of points. The WCE&BAC Competition Officials will be responsible for rule violations, not the judges. Guidelines are as follows:
- Automatically Disqualified if you fail to submit Written Consent & Release form for licensed work (See General Rule #4)
- 5 Points will be Deducted if any work is done in advance of the start of competition (see General Rule #17)
- 5 Points will be Deducted for every 10 minutes up to a max of 30 minutes if your entry and work area are not cleaned up at the scheduled finish time.